Smoked mackerel and horseradish pate, lemon and oatcakes
Scotland’s known for good smoked fish. Pates make sense to take the edge off the saltiness by adding cream cheese to make a textured paste. They’re not really into bread though, so your going to have to go with oatcakes on this one.
- 200g hot-smoked mackerel
- 1-2 tbsp creamed horseradish
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g cream cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Peel and flake the mackerel, being careful to remove any bones if you are using the whole fish.
- The best tool for this pâté is a food processor but you could also mash it with a fork. Blitz or mash the fish, horseradish, butter, crème fraîche and lemon juice to a rough paste. Don’t over blend though otherwise you end up with grey slop.
- Allow the mix to cool and set in the fridge for an hour or so before serving.